DWilkinson&Company are a dynamic fast growing practice in West Yorkshire. We advise a broad range of clients across the UK. We take the trouble to listen to our clients so that we understand what they want from us.
Clients seek a professional service but they also want to deal with people who take an interest in them, who are approachable and who put them at their ease. For this reason, our recruitment process places as much emphasis on personality as on academic and technical skills.
We provide training to all technical staff at all stages of their careers and where relevant support them in their progression through their professional qualification
We set high professional standards but combine this with a relaxed atmosphere where a good sense of humour is regarded as an essential attribute.
We are currently wanting to recruit an:
Apprentice Accounting Technician
This is a great opportunity to start to your career in Accountancy. As a Trainee Accounting Technician you will support managers and other senior staff in providing a range of accountancy services to our clients. You will gain the experience and knowledge to progress through AAT qualifications and then onto Chartered training. DWilkinson&Company will cover the costs of your apprenticeship.
About the Apprenticeship
You will undertake the “Assistant Accountant” Apprenticeship (an Advanced Apprenticeship in Accounting), with full support from Accountancy Learning as part of their Flexible Apprenticeship Programme.
Assessment will be by an “End Point Assessment” and will be graded “Pass” or “Distinction”. This will include two elements:
- A Professional Discussion. This will include a series of questions allowing you to to display the knowledge and experience you have obtained over your apprenticeship. You will build a Portfolio of reflections and product evidence that will be used for discussion points in the PD.
- A Synoptic Exam. This will include elements you have learnt throughout your studies of the individual AAT Units and this will contribute towards your end grade.
You will be prepared for both of these elements by undertaking studies for the AAT (Level 3) Advanced Diploma in Accounting. These will underpin both elements of your “end point assessment”. As such, it is anticipated that your apprenticeship duration will be for 15-18 months although earlier completion is possible, provided the duration exceeds one year and a week. Those with no prior accounting knowledge may need to also complete the Bookkeeping units of AAT Level 2.
You will receive support from both the DWilkinson&Company, and Accountancy Learning (the training provider), to complete and achieve your Apprenticeship and will be given time to study during the week on a day release basis. As you are working towards a professional qualification, it is also expected that you will continue your studies outside of normal office hours.
As you learn more in both the office and in your studies your responsibilities, and the variety of tasks you undertake, are expected to increase.
Those with previous relevant qualification and experience may be considered for a Higher Apprenticeship undertaking the Professional Accountant Standard.
Further details about the role
You will be based in our Ilkley office, working 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays.
Your wage will be the national minimum wage for apprentices and your apprenticeship is expected to take 13 – 24 months to complete.
We are looking for someone to start ASAP.
As a trainee accountant you will work as part of a team assisting with clients’ accounting needs.
This position involves a number of different aspects including:
- Preparing financial statements for limited companies, partnerships and sole traders
- Preparing tax computations
- Providing bookkeeping services
- Preparation of VAT returns
- Providing payroll services
- Filing Companies House and H M Revenue & Customs documents on client's behalf
- Ad hoc admin duties
- Microsoft office 365
- Bookkeeping using Sage/ xero/ Moneysoft/ Iris
Assignments will be undertaken both in the office and at client's premises. Trainees will have support and on the job training from managers and other senior staff.
During your training you will be expected to develop an understanding of the practical issues involved in delivering a high quality service to clients.
Both practical and theoretical training will be undertaken, with an aim to becoming a member of the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT).
Requirements and prospects
- You will need to have strong numeracy, literacy skills and IT skills.
- However, no prior knowledge of accountancy is required.
- A general interest in business will be expected, as will be a willingness to learn.
- You will need to have an analytical and methodical approach to your work and be able to apply both common sense and technical skills to different assignments.
- Must be happy to work in a team and a sense of humour is essential.
- Minimum of 5 GCSE's at Grade C or higher including Maths and English
- 2 A levels at Grade C or equivalent.
It is expected that you will stay with the company following successful completion of your apprenticeship to undertake further qualifications and increase your responsibility in the office.
How to apply
Please email your CV with a covering letter to Daniel Wilkinson, DWilkinson&Company at firstname.lastname@example.org. Within your covering letter we would also like you to tell us:
- Why are you interested in an apprenticeship in accounting?
- Why do you want to work for us, and what will you bring to our team?
This is a great opportunity for someone to learn about accountancy in a thriving, successful and fun environment.
We look forward to reading your applications and welcoming the successful candidates to our team.